Nacogdoches Business & Professional Women's Club, 1978-1995 | East Texas Research Center
Extent: 10.0 Boxes
The Texas Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs, Inc., (BPW/TEXAS) was organized on July 12, 1919, in Dallas, with about 40 women in attendance, representing five areas of the state. At this meeting three delegates were elected to attend the initial National Convention, held in St. Louis, Missouri two days later. The following officers were elected at this first Texas meeting: President Minnie L. Maffett, M.D., Dallas; First Vice President, Mrs. Virginia Marr Find, Dallas; Second Vice President, Miss Bertha Ward, El Paso; Recording Secretary, Miss E. Vance Hay, Austin; Corresponding Secretary, Miss Sallie Louise Bridges, Houston; Treasurer, Miss Florence Sands, Dallas; Publicity Secretary, Mrs. B. H. Gilbeau, Dallas.
The first annual meeting was held in Fort Worth in June, 1920, with 12 voting delegates, although about 100 women were present. The minutes of this meeting show there were only four clubs in the Federation. No annual meeting was held in 1921, due to lack of interest and a meeting was held at the YWCA in Dallas to decide whether to disband. No membership figures are in the records and no convention was held in 1922. Miss Florence Sands served as president from 1921-23, and through her efforts and with the help of Dr. Maffett, some progress was made during the next two years. At the second meeting in 1920 records relate: "Representatives were from Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth, Hillsboro and Beaumont". "Better Business Women for a Better Business World" was adopted by the National Federation as the slogan, and National dues were 25 cents.
The National Federation organized July 16, 1919, was gradually becoming oriented and was able to furnish occasional help to the state organizations. For the first time they sent a national officer, the President, Mrs. Lena Lake Forrest to the annual meeting in Texas. From this time the number of clubs began to grow and the Federation slowly made progress.
The first executive secretary for the Texas Federation was Miss Miriam Coleman of Paris, and the state office was maintained in her home from 1936 through 1944, at which time the state office was dissolved and a part time custodian-secretary employed. The excellent records kept by Miss Coleman detail the early Federation history. In August 1948 a permanent state office headquarters was established in Fort Worth and the Federation was incorporated under the laws of the State of Texas.
Browse by Box:
[Box 1: Local Chapter],
- Box 1: Local Chapter
- Folder 1: By-laws, 1985-86
- Folder 2: Bylaws, 1988
- Folder 3: Bylaws, 1990
- Folder 4: Bylaws, 1991
- Folder 5: Bylaws, proposed amendments, ca. 1990-92
- Folder 6: Community Service policy, ca. 1988
- Folder 7: Agendas, 1991-93
- Folder 8: Correspondence, 1986-87
- Folder 9: Correspondence, 1986-87
- Folder 10: Correspondence, 1991-92
- Folder 11: Committee reports, 1986-87
- Folder 12: Membership committee, 1986-87
- Folder 13: Nominating committee, 1986-87
- Folder 14: Minutes, 1988-89
- Folder 15: Minutes, 1988-89
- Folder 16: Minutes, 1991-92
- Item 17: Notebook A, Agendas, minutes, etc., 1989-90
- Item 18: Notebook B, President's notebook (Donna Walton), correspondence, relationship with other organizations, resource manual, 1989-90
- Item 19: Notebook C, State correspondence, District conference. District Director (Terri Jondahl). Treasurer's report. Newsletters of other chapters and state, 1989-90
- Item 20: Notebook D, President's notebook (Bobbie Twohig), Board meetings, Meeting agenda, District IV, BPW/TX, BPW/USA, Childcare, Financial reports, Center BPW, Correspondence,, 1990-91
- Item 21: Notebook E, President's notebook (Bobbie Twohig), Bylaws, Choices, Continuing Education, Employment network, Federation, Finance/Audit, Fundraising, Historian scrapbook, Individual development, Issues management, BPW/USA, Membership, Nominating, Past Presidents, Political, Writeline, Women of the Year, Women in Government, Young Careerist, 1990-1991, 1990-1991
Browse by Box:
[Box 1: Local Chapter],