Masonic Institutes, 1851-1859 | East Texas Research Center
Extent: 135.0 Items
Correspondence, bills, term reports, enrollment and attendance records, records of the Board of Trustees, teacher contracts, educational philosophy, and curricula of the two schools
The Masonic Male and Female Institutions of San Augustine were founded in 1850 by the Redland Lodge and Rising Star Chapter of the Masonic Lodge, utilizing the buildings of the then defunct University of San Augustine and Wesleyan Male and Female College. Until 1855 James B. Thornton was in charge of the Male Institute and Mary De Camp headed the Female Institute. They were succeeded for one year by Rev. C. H. Albert, an Episcopal rector and his wife. Then the Male Institute came under the charge of Samuel B. Bewley and thrived until he left to join the Confederate Army in 1862 and many of the students followed suit. Meanwhile the Female Institute was under the direction of J. Thomas Fuller until it foundered upon his resignation in 1859 and the disorder arising from the impending Civil War. Schools were held intermittently in both buildings until the University building burned in 1866 and the College building burned in 1873.
Related Materials: Summer Hill Select School. Omen, Texas. ETRC Business & Organizational Collection. B-1
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1
- Board of Trustees, 1851-1854. 4 items; Minutes of the Board. Oct. 22, 1851, 1 p;. Notice from the Land Office that University lands need to be surveyed and patented. Includes calling card. Feb. 13, 1854, 2 items; Commendation by Board to Mr. Thornton renewing his position. June 1854, 1 p.
- Folder 2
- J. Thomas Fuller and Board of Trustees, 1858-1859. 4 items; Draft of resolution electing Fuller principal of Female Institute. n.d. 1 p;. J. Thomas Fuller to Board of Trustees. Feb. 15, 1858, 8 p.; Minutes of board meeting and draft of answer to Fuller. Feb. 27, 1858 4 p.; Resignation of Fuller.July 1. 1859 1 p.
- Folder 3
- Masonic Institutes associated items, 1852-1858. 4 items.; San Augustine Masonic Institute Rules and Regulations for the Government of the Male and Female Departments of the Institute July 3, 1852 4 p; Eastern Texian newspaper containing ad for Masonic Institute. Jan 1858, 2 p.; Teaching contract of Edward Eells. July 6, 1854, 4 p.; Subscription list to repair University House, n.d. 1 p.
- Folder 4
- Correspondence, 1851-1859. 6 items;. Chas. D. Moore, San Augustine, to the Board of Trustees. Oct. 22, 1851, 2 p.; James B. Thornton, San Augustine, to Col. J. M. Ardrey, Sec. of the Board of Trustees. July 1,1853, 1 p.; F. H. Dixon, n. p. to Col. Jas. M. Ardrey, San Augustine, Aug. 7, 1853 . 1 p.; Jane Clark to Board of Trustees. June 30, 1857, 2 p.; Cornelia Watson, n. p., to Mr. Ardrey. n. d. 2 p.; M. M. Simpson [?], n. p., to Col. Ardery [sic]. n. d. 1 p.
- Folder 5: Ledgers, Lists students and their payments for tuition. 2 items, 1852-1856
- Folder 6: Term Reports, Lists students, curricula, tuition, payments, classes, attendance. 12 items, 1852-1853
- Folder 7: Term Reports, 7 items, 1854-1855, undated
- Folder 8: Receipts, bills, notes, 13 items, 1851-1852
- Folder 9: Receipts, bills, notes, 16 items, 1852 (cont.)
- Folder 10: Receipts, bills, notes, 25 items, 1853
- Folder 11: Receipts, bills, notes, 19 items, 1854
- Folder 12: Receipts, bills, notes, 18 items, 1855-1856
- Folder 13: Receipts, bills, notes, computations, 17 items, 1857-1858, undated
- Folder 14
- Miscellaneous. Items not relating to the Masonic Institutes. 5 items.; Lewis Powell, Texas, to C. B. Powell [son], San Augustine. June 22, 1851, 1 p.; Certificate of Wm. S. Smith and B. W. Reynolds referring to C[ader] B. Powell and his father's land. Feb. 20, 1854, 2 p.; James M. Ardrey, San Augustine, to Sir [relating his candidacy for District Attorney of the 5th Judicial District]. Apr. 1, 1854, 1 p.; Printed notice advertising Austin College Law School in Huntsville, TX. May 19, 1855, 1 p. n. d. Juror's oath. 1 p.