Charlotte Baker Montgomery Papers, 1945-1997 | East Texas Research Center
Primary Creator: Baker, Charlotte (1910-)
Charlotte Baker, daughter of Thomas Ellis and Karle Wilson Baker, was born August 31, 1910 in Nacogdoches, Texas. She attended Stephen F. Austin State University from 1925 to 1926, and graduated from Mills College in Oakland, California in 1929. In 1930 she obtained a Master of Arts from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught art at public schools in Kilgore, Texas from 1931 to 1934; at Ball State College in Muncie, Indiana from 1934 to 1935; and at Texas College of Arts and Industries in Kingsville, Texas from 1940 to 1942. She married Roger Montgomery, an attorney, in 1942. From 1944 to 1947 she was a gallery docent for the Portland Art Museum in Oregon. In 1950 she became a full-time writer-illustrator.
Ms. Montgomery's writings, published under her maiden name, include two adult novels, A Sombrero for Miss Brown (1941) and House of the Roses (1942), and numerous juvenile works, many with humanitarian themes. She received the Texas Institute of Letters Cokesbury Award for Magic for Mary M in 1953 and for The Best of Friends in 1966. In 1972 Cockleburr Quarters received first prize at the Book World Children's Spring Book Festival, the University of Wisconsin Lewis Carroll Shelf Award, the University of Minnesota Kerlan Collection Award, as well as a nomination for the Newbury Award.
In 1959 Mrs. Montgomery and her husband, Roger, were instrumental in organizing the Humane Society of Nacogdoches County, which inspired the formation of similar groups in East Texas. Participation in the worldwide humane movement followed. Mrs. Montgomery's pioneer humane work has been honored by the Dallas Society for Animal Protection, The Nacogdoches Branch of the American Association of University Women and the Humane Society of the United States. Active in promoting humane education through her newspaper column "Noah's Notebook" and programs in East Texas schools, Ms. Montgomery was named Humanitarian of the Year by the Society for Animal Protection for 1960-1961, received a Humane Society of the United States certificate of appreciation in 1969, and received the Joseph Wood Krutch Medal of the Humane Society of the United States in 1983. She was inducted into the Nacogdoches Women's Hall of Fame in 1996.
Related Materials: Karle Wilson Baker Papers. ETRC Personal & Family Collection. A-2
Browse by Box:
[Box 2: Humane Education Handbook series and Published Humane Education articles],
[Box 3: Manuscripts],
[Bundle 1: "Necessary Nellie"],
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Little Brother. Author's dummy, illustrated., 1959
- Folder 2: The Best of Friends. Correspondence with Rose Dobbs, David Mckay Co., 1964-1976
- Folder 3: The Best of Friends. Letters from young readers. Also mentions Cockleburr Quarters and The Kittens and the Cardinals., 1966-1972
- Folder 4: The Best of Friends. Letters from young readers, 1973-1987
- Folder 5: The Best of Friends. Symposium, Humane Philosophy and Education, Gulf States Regional Office, HSUS. CPOM Address, Listen to the Children. (Based on letters from BOF/K & C readers)., 1989
- Folder 6: The Best of Friends. Correspondence, reviews, etc. CPOM article, Kindness is Contagious, unpublished.
- Folder 7: The Kittens and the Cardinals. Correspondence with Rose Dobbs, others, reviews, lists, etc. Trial jackets., 1968-1969
- Folder 8: The Kittens and the Cardinals. Proofs, not corrected.
- Folder 9: The Best of Friends/The Kittens and the Cardinals project. ( Gift books to libraries). Correspondence, 1971-1973
- Folder 10: Cockleburr Quarters miscellaneous. [Most of CQ materials are on permanent loan to the Kerlan Collection, University of Minnesota.], 1972
- Folder 11: The Trail North, Rough draft of MS, later revised., 1990
- Folder 12: The Trail North. Typed MS, 1st version, 1986-1987
- Folder 13: The Trail North. Typed MS, revised, 1989
- Folder 14: The Trail North. Research - nature, history, etc. Ideas and first drafts for stories.
- Folder 15: The Trail North. Correspondence, reviews, notices - CBM programs, etc.
- Folder 16: The Trail North. Letters from readers, third grade, Adam Elementary School, Houston.
- Folder 17: The Trail North. Catalogs listing The Trail North.
- Folder 18: The Bishop Fills 'Em Up, . 2 copies. News clippings explaining origin of plot, correspondence with Mrs. Quin, agent, readers. MS of story.
- Folder 19: Hands of Horror. MS, correspondence with agents, George Abbe, etc
- Folder 20: The Little Angry Man. MS, correspondence with Val Walters about origin of plot, agent, others.
- Folder 21: I Need a Friend. Series in three installments published in Humane Education magazines, Complete series, 19 animals, unpublished. Correspondence Ideas and sketches., 1977-1980
- Folder 22: I Need a Friend. Folder, printed and distributed by Humane Society of Nacogdoches County and other humane societies. Mailing list, correspondence Tracing for art work., 1970-1977
- Folder 23: Helping Hands Coloring Book. Published by HSUS. Published edition. CBM/ Patty Finch notes, correspondence. Approved and discarded illustrations., 1989-1992
- Folder 24: Head Start Humane Education program, Talk to Head Start Teachers, correspondence, project report; teachers reports. News clippings., 1966-1967
- Folder 25: Head Start handbook, Cultivating Kindness, correspondence, rough draft, ideas for stories and verses, book lists., 1978-1981
- Folder 26: Cultivating Kindness, text only by CBM, handbook for teachers published by Head Start Regional Training Office, Denton Texas.
- Folder 27: Meeting Animal Friends, teachers manual, Head Start Program. [Kindness Club edition.], 1967
- Folder 28: Meeting Animal Friends, [Humane Society of the U.S. edition]. Revised by Jean McClure Kelty.
- Folder 29: Meeting Animal Friends, miscellaneous research, ideas, notices.
- Folder 30: Meeting Animal Friends, correspondence, 1967-1968
- Box 2: Humane Education Handbook series and Published Humane Education articles
- Folder 1: Meeting Animal Friends, correspondence, 1968-1972
- Folder 2: My Kindness Coloring Book, text by CBM, illustrations by Hope Sawyer Buyukmihci. Typed copy, page proofs, correspondence, 1970-1988
- Folder 3: A Visit to a Humane Society Animal Shelter, teachers' guide. Mimeographed copies. Correspondence, 1969-1970
- Folder 4: A Visit to a Humane Society Animal Shelter, published article, "A Visit to an Animal Shelter ", Children Today 1977, correspondence, 1976-1977
- Folder 5: Learning with Animals, teachers' guide, unpublished. Be Kind to Animals Week, Easter animals.
- Folder 6: Living with Animal Friends, (6th, 7th and 8th grades)
- Folder 7: You and Animal Friends, (3rd and 4th grades) Looseleaf notebook.
- Folder 8: You and Animal Friends, (3rd and 4th grades) Research, rough drafts for teachers handbook series.
- Folder 9: Helping Animal Friends and Learning With Animals.
- Folder 10: "Teaching With Animals," goals and guidelines, revised MS, published version, correspondence,, 1976-1978
- Folder 11: "How Kids Can Help Animals," carbon copy, correspondence, 1973
- Folder 12: "Humane Education for Kindergarten," NAAHE Journal,, 1977
- Folder 13: "Are You Ready For a Dog?" Carbon copy MS. "Animals, people and Humane Education," NAAHE Journa, 1974
- Folder 14: Choosing humane books about animals for children. [Four unpublished articles]
1. "The Humane Ethic and Children's Literature. Prepared for librarians."
2. "'Cultivating Kindness,' Building a Humane Education Collection."
3. "Choosing Books About Animals for Children."
4. "Big, Bright and Beautiful."
- Folder 15: Unpublished articles, Research, Correspondence
1. "How to Help Animals- From a Rocking Chair, I & II."
2. "Let's Ask Questions."
3. "Beauty Without Cruelty."
4. "Lost Dogs- What Happens to Them? How To Protect Them."
5. "Roadside Zoos - A Blot on the Landscape."
6. " A Slaughter of Innocents."
7. "Animal Welfare - Is It Relevant?"
8. "What Your Child Learns From Pets."
9. "You and the Birds."
10. "Arithmetic With A Moral."
11. "'Don't Squeeze the Kitty' Is Not Enough."
- Folder 16: Talks to humane societies and other interested groups
1. "What Is a Humane Society?"
2. "The Community that Doesn't Need a Humane Society."
3. "The Humane Society - A Nacogdoches Institution."
4. "Animal control Discussion, Jacksonville, Texas."
5. "Where Do They Come From? etc."
6. "Humane Work In East Texas, by Clio Bromley."
- Folder 17: Rucker/Montgomery/Whitlock- unpublished articles. 1. "Teaching Kindness with Puppets." 2. "Teaching Kindness to Animals to Pre School Children." Correspondence, 1976
- Folder 18: Teaching Kindness - Miscellaneous research, clippings.
- Folder 19: "Helping Our Animal Neighbors," leaflet for county schools; teacher response.
- Folder 20: The Blessing of Animals Service (2 copies), news clippings, articles, correspondence. "Blessed Animals," article, KIND Magazine December 1980. Talk by Rev. George Wilson, 1984
- Folder 21: Nine unpublished article
1. "What I Wish My Bishop Would Do."
2. "Jesus Christ and the Animals."
3. "Christ and the Animals." and duplicate.
4. "Howdy, Neighbor." 5. "God Made Heaven and Earth - Remember?"
6. "All in the Same Boat."
7. "God the Father, Maker of Heaven and Earth - So What?"
8. "Animals and the First Rainbow."
9. "Christ and the Animals, a service for Animal Sunday."
- Folder 22: Looseleaf notebook; collection of items on religion and animals: hymns, psalms, scripture, sermons, prayers etc.
- Folder 23: Animals in Holidays and Seasons; research - clippings, notes, first drafts etc.
- Folder 24: Christmas and Animals, kind gifts, cruel and dangerous toys - plans for a kind Christmas - stories, verses etc.
- Folder 25: Humane Anglicans - SUPPCA, ASWA - Letters from Dean Seekins, others.
- Folder 26: Animals and Religion - research material. Newspaper clippings, World Week of Prayer, etc.
- Folder 27: Animals and Religion - research material; miscellaneous clippings.
- Folder 28: "Companions on the Way," a play, [unpublished manuscript] mimeographed copy.
- Folder 29: "Animals on the Way," MS; [before revision, 1st copy] story version
- Folder 30: "Animals on the Way," correspondence, 1974-1988
- Folder 31: "An Essay about Reverence for Life," The Texas Churchman, 1985
- Folder 32: "Return to Eden," published play. 2 copies. Two MS with comments and corrections. "Back to Earth," an epilogue [not published], Parameter Press edition of the play, correspondence, 1971-1972
- Folder 33: "Return to Eden," correspondence, 1973-1982
- Box 3: Manuscripts
- Folder 1: Five Plays
1. "The Bell of Atri," mimeograph copy.
2. "The Bell of Justice," published in NAAHE Journal, 1976. [Both are adapted from "The Sicilian's Tale" by Longfellow.] Photo, puppet patterns. Correspondence.
3. "Androcles and the Lion," published in PLAYS, 1978. Correspondence.
4. "The Lion and the Mouse," adapted from Aesop. Correspondence.
5. "A Christmas Present All Year Long," carbon copy.
- Folder 2: The Kindness Club; publications, news clippings, correspondence.
- Folder 3: The Kindness Club; publications, news clippings, correspondence.
- Folder 4: "Speaking for the Speechless"; a weekly feature in the Daily Sentinel. 1964-1977, carbons.
- Folder 5: Piney Woods Writers Conferences, [SFASU 1960, 1961, 1966, 1967, 1968]. Talks by CBM, programs, correspondence.
- Folder 6: Texas Institute of Letters; newsletters 1981-1997, correspondence 1981-93.
- Folder 7: Texas Institute of Letters; newsletters 1981-1997, correspondence 1981-93.
- Folder 8: Autobiography, ; talks and articles about writing.
- Folder 9: Verses written between, 1928-1999
2. The Wind.
3. What Joy!
4. Water Worship.
5. The First Snow.
6. Autumn Gold.
7. The City Flowers.
8. A Spring Day.
9. The Beggar in the Church.
10. The Serenade.
11. The Wedding Dance
12. Emiliano and His Mother.
13. Sevillian Nights.
14. A Rose Riddle.
15. Friends Are Everywhere.
16. My House.
17. What's That?
18. A Tale That Will Never End.
19. Mother Nature's Family.
20. Making a Living.
21. The Tender-hearted Man.
22. I Heard a Bird.
23. Rhyming Rules of Dog Care.
24. My Tail.
25. Where Milk Comes From.
26. Bunny Lullaby.
27.What Is Life?
28. Noah's Song.
29. The Royal Gift.
31. The Feathered Stump.
32. Letting Go.
33. Your Lilies Bloom.
34. The Face in the Mirror.
- Folder 10: Writings. Articles about writing and illustrating, 1945. Typed transcript. 2 items.
- Folder 11: Writings. "Glimpses Through the Gateway to Texas" columns from Daily Sentinel, 1952; article about column, 1962. Printed 14 items.
- Folder 12: Writings. "The Bishop Fills 'Em Up," short story printed in Good Housekeeping with notes and articles about the story, 1958. Handwritten, Printed. 4 items.
- Folder 13: Writings. Letters to newspaper and magazine editors re: humane treatment of animals, 1964-1970. Printed, typed transcript. 4 items.
- Folder 14: Reviews of A Sombrero for Miss Brown, Hope Hacienda, House of the Roses, 1941-1942. Typed transcript. 5 items.
- Folder 15: Reviews, notes, and articles about Necessary Nellie, Nellie and the Mayor's Hat, The House on the River, 1945-1948. Printed, typed transcript, typescript. 8 items.
- Folder 16: Reviews and articles about Kinnery Camp and Sunrise Island, 1951-1952. Printed, typed transcript. 4 items.
- Folder 17: Reviews and articles about Magic for Mary M, 1953. Printed, typed transcript. 5 items.
- Folder 18: Reviews and articles about The Venture of the Thunderbird and Return of Thunderbird, 1953-1954. Printed, typed transcript. 9 items.
- Folder 19: Reviews, articles, photograph, brochure on The Green Poodles, Southwest Writers Conference, Republican Women's Club, 1955-1957. Printed, typed transcript. 14 items.
- Folder 20: Reviews and articles about Thomas, the Ship's Cat; Little Brother; An ABC of Dog Care for Young Owners; 1958-1959. Printed, typed transcript. 9 items.
- Folder 21: Reviews and articles about An ABC of Dog Care for Young Owners, Humanitarian of the Year Award, 1960-1961. Printed. 8 items.
- Folder 22: Articles about humane education work in Nacogdoches County by Ms. Montgomery, 1962, 1965. Printed. 3 items.
- Folder 23: Articles about The Best of Friends, 1967-1968. Printed. 4 items.
- Folder 24: Reviews and articles about Kittens and Cardinals, A Visit to a Humane Shelter, Cockleburr Quarters, 1969-1972. Printed. 5 items.
- Folder 25: Biographical sketches from Something About the Author, 1971, and Contemporary Authors, 1976; bibliography, . Photocopy, typescript. 3 items.
- Folder 26: Article on Humane Society of the United States award to Ms. Montgomery, 1983. Printed. 1 item.
- Folder 27: Necessary Nellie. First outlines, drafts of Chapter 1 and 2, ca. 1944. Handwritten, typescript. 5 items.
- Folder 28: Necessary Nellie. Revised manuscript, ca. 1944. Carbon. 1 item.
- Folder 29: Necessary Nellie. Author's dummy - plan submitted to publisher with manuscript, ca. 1944. Hand drawn and painted. 1 volume.
- Folder 30: Necessary Nellie. Final press dummy for layout with editor's changes, ca. 1945. Printed, handwritten. 1 volume.
- Folder 31: Necessary Nellie. Working drawings produced in black, red, and tan by the printer and final cover design on jacket, ca. 1945. Hand drawn, printed. 4 items.
- Folder 32: Necessary Nellie. working drawings for illustration on pp. 6-7 and printed proof, ca. 1945. Hand drawn, printed. 4 items.
- Folder 33: Necessary Nellie. Working drawings for illustration on pp. 16-17 and printed proof, ca. 1945. Hand drawn, printed. 4 items.
- Folder 34: Necessary Nellie. Working drawings for illustration on pp. 20-21 and printed proof, ca. 1945. Hand drawn, printed. 4 items.
- Folder 35: Necessary Nellie. Working drawings for illustration on pp. 26-27 and printed proof, ca. 1945. Hand drawn, printed. 4 items.
- Folder 36: Necessary Nellie. Working drawings for illustration on pp. 58-59 and printed proof, ca. 1945. Hand drawn, printed. 4 items.
- Folder 37: Necessary Nellie. Working drawings for illustration on pp. 82-83 and printed proof, ca. 1945. Hand drawn, printed. 4 items.
- Folder 38: Necessary Nellie. Working drawings for illustration on pp. 86-87 and printed proof, ca. 1945. Hand drawn, printed 4 items.
- Folder 39: The Green Poodles. Suggested chapter heading illustration and other illustrations with page numbers for placement in book on the backs, ca. 1956. Hand drawn. 11 items.
- Bundle 1: "Necessary Nellie"
Necessary Nellie. Foundry and page proofs of a few pages near the beginning of the book, ca. 1945. Printed with handwritten notes. 3 items.
The Green Poodles. Working drawings and painting for cover illustration, ca. 1956. Hand drawn and painted. 5 items.
Necessary Nellie. Suggested chapter heading illustration and other illustrations with page numbers for placement in book on the backs, ca. 1945. Hand drawn. 11 items.
Browse by Box:
[Box 2: Humane Education Handbook series and Published Humane Education articles],
[Box 3: Manuscripts],
[Bundle 1: "Necessary Nellie"],