Owens-Stephens Family Papers, 1898-1976 | East Texas Research Center
By Natasha McClanahan
Primary Creator: Stephens, William Edwin (1856-1930)
Other Creators: Owens, Alice Stephens (b. 1883)
Extent: 0.5 Linear Feet
William Edwin Stephens was born October 24, 1856. He and his first wife, Sarah Jane Potts, had seven children, including Alice Stephens Owens. After Sarah Jane died, William married Ellen Wilson with whom he had seven more children. Stephens died January 4, 1930.
Alice Stephens was born August 24, 1883. She married Earnest Owens in 1907. Earnest died in an accident while working with the Texas Pipe Line Company on June 8, 1923, leaving Alice a widow with several small children. Alice Stephens Owens lived in Joaquin, Shelby County, Texas, where she died at the age of 96, leaving a large number of descendants.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Daybook of William E. Stephens, 1898-1911
- Folder 2: Daybooks of Alice Stephens Owens, 1921-1954
- Folder 3: Miscellaneous, 1898-1932
- Includes tax receipts, oil and gas lease document, correspondence with the Texas Industrial Accident Board following the death of Earnest, documents relating to the estate of Alice's brother, Thomas Potts Stephens
- Folder 4: Letters and other papers of Alice Owens, 1917-1976
Correspondence with her brother, Thomas Potts Stephens:
during his service in World War I in France and Germany (1917-1919)
when he worked for oil companies in Columbia and Venezuela (1922-1927):
letters to and from other family members, 1917-1976.
- Folder 5: Diary of Alice Stephens Owens, 1944-1951
- Folder 6: Diary of Alice Stephens Owens, 1953-1963
- Folder 7: Diary of Alice Stephens Owens, 1964-1972
- Folder 8: Diary of Alice Stephens Owens, 1973-1975