Parks Family Collection, 1880-1970 | East Texas Research Center
By Linda Reynolds
Extent: 1.5 Linear Feet
Reverend Alfred D. Parks was born April 21, 1823 in Tennessee. He married Sarah Windham and they had three children: Promontory, George Porter and Bellezora . The Parks family settled in Cherokee County, Texas around 1853. Rev. Parks served in Co. D., 17th Texas Calvary during the Civil War. Sarah died on July 30, 1865 and A.D. Parks remarried Emily Jane Martin (b. 1835) and moved with his family to Nacogdoches County. Alfred D. Parks died February 4, 1899 and is buried in Fairview Cemetery in Nacogdoches.
George Porter Parks settled in Newton County, Texas in 1867 and married Mary Farr on January 22, 1874. They eventually settled in Nacogdoches County and were the parents of the following children: George, Alfred, Harriet Jane, Joe, Eugenia Minora, Newell Ford, Alice Janette (Nettie), and Edith.
("Parks, Reverend A.D." Nacogdoches County Families . Dallas: Curtis Publishing Corporation,1985. p. 510).
Browse by Box:
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Long thin brown scrapbook of newspaper articles, 1880-1910
- Folder 2: Small brown scrapbook of newspaper articles, 1880-1910
- Folder 3: My Scrapbook by Nettie Parks, newspaper articles and obituaries, 1940-1970
- Folder 4: Household expense book, 1893-1894
- Folder 5: Newspaper articles about Stephen B. Tucker
- Folder 6: Fairview Methodist Church building account book, grounds keeper notes, 1955