Missoura Garrett Price Papers, 1884-1947 | East Texas Research Center
By Pam Palmer
Primary Creator: Price, Missoura Garrett (b. 1869)
Extent: 3.0 Linear Feet
Subjects: Family records, Garrison Coal and Oil Company -- Records and correspondence, Genealogy, Petroleum industry and trace -- Records and correspondence, Price, Missoura Garrett, b. 1869 -- Correspondence
Missoura Garrett was born March 22, 1869 in Shelby County, Texas. She attended various schools including Keachi College in 1886-1887 and taught in several East Texas towns during the late 1880's and early 1890's, including Center and Garrison. In 1895 she married William F. Price who operated a coal and oil business first in Logansport, Louisiana, then in Garrison. By the time she married she had changed the spelling of her first name to "Missoura" and used this form consistently for the rest of her life.
The Prices lived in a house at 304 Mound Street in Nacogdoches. When it burned in the 1920's, it was rebuilt by Dietrich Rulfs. His drawings for rebuilding and materials specifications are included in the collection. Mrs. Price ran a boarding house in that location from the 1920's to 1940's.
Mrs. Price was active in women's organizations, especially the Cum Concilio Club of which she was president and a member for fifty years.
("Missoura Garrett Price Papers." East Texas Research Center. Ralph W. Steen Library. Stephen F. Austin State University).
Browse by Box:
- Box 5
- Folder 1: Notes for a tour of Nacogdoches
- Folder 2: Notes on Regulators and Moderators [Shelby Co., 1840's]
- Folder 3: Notes on early Texas history
- Folder 4: Notebook - household and Miscellaneous Notes, 1933
- Folder 5: Notebooks - Household, Inventory of Possessions, 1925, 1943, 1947
- Folder 6: Notebook - Household Accounts, 1943-1947
- Folder 7: Notebook - Books recommended by teacher, Miss Harrison, 1899
- Folder 8: Household Notes - Includes notes on boarders, 1925-1941
- Folder 9: Autobiographical Notes, 1885-1892
- Folder 10: Miscellaneous Notes
- Folder 11: Miscellaneous Notes, [Contest entries and essay on war], 1945
Browse by Box: