Edwin W. Gaston, Jr. Papers, 1946-1977 | East Texas Research Center
Extent: 3.0 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 00/00/1977
Subjects: American fiction -- Southwest, New, Authors -- Texas -- Nacogdoches, Gaston, Edwin W. -- Correspondence, Rhodes, Eugene Manlove, 1869-1934, Richter, Conrad, 1890-1968, Stephen F. Austin State University -- Faculty, Texas Folklore Society -- Officials and employees
Born February 22, 1925 in Nacogdoches, Edwin Willmer Gaston, Jr. was an author, scholar, and teacher, and former newspaper editor and publisher. With a B. S. (1947) and M. A. (1951) from Stephen F. Austin State University and Ph. D. from Texas Technological University (1959), he first joined the staff at SFASU as Assistant Director of College Information (1950-53). He successively became Assistant Professor of English (1955-59); Associate Professor (1959-63), and Professor (1963- ). From 1964 to 1965 he was a Fulbright Professor at the University of Helsinki, Finland. He served as Head of the English Department at SFASU from 1965 to 1969 and became Dean of the Graduate School there in 1976. Gaston died in October 2007 at the age of 82.
Gaston was a vice-president (1962-63) and president (1963-64) of the Texas Folklore Society; secretary-treasurer of the American Studies Association of Texas (1962-65); and National Councilor of Alpha Chi honor society (1963-66).
American fiction -- Southwest, New
Authors -- Texas -- Nacogdoches
Gaston, Edwin W. -- Correspondence
Rhodes, Eugene Manlove, 1869-1934
Richter, Conrad, 1890-1968
Stephen F. Austin State University -- Faculty
Texas Folklore Society -- Officials and employees
Access Restrictions: Open for research.
Acquisition Method: Gift
Browse by Box:
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Typed manuscript of THE EARLY NOVEL OF THE SOUTHWEST with editorial revisions marked, 1960-1961
- Folder 2: Galleys of THE EARLY NOVEL OF THE SOUTHWEST, 1961
- Folder 3: Typed manuscript of EUGENE MANLOVE RHODES: COWBOY CHRONICLER with editorial revisions, c. 1967
- Folder 4: Two sets of galleys for EUGENE MANLOVE RHODES: COWBOY CHRONICLER with corrections and notes in the margins, 1967
- Folder 5: Other publications - two articles, one speech, one abstract of a speech
Browse by Box: