Holloway Lee Power Papers, 1842-1978 | East Texas Research Center
By Pamela Palmer
Primary Creator: Power, Holloway Lee (1802-1866)
Extent: 1.0 Linear Feet
Subjects: Bethany Baptist Church (Nacogdoches County, Tex.) -- Records and correspondence, Church records and registers -- Texas -- Nacogdoches County, Clergy -- Texas -- Nacogdoches County, Farmers -- Texas -- Nacogdoches County, Power, Holloway Lee, 1802-1866 -- Correspondence, Primitive Baptists -- Texas -- Nacogdoches County
Bethany Baptist Church (Nacogdoches County, Tex.) -- Records and correspondence
Church records and registers -- Texas -- Nacogdoches County
Clergy -- Texas -- Nacogdoches County
Farmers -- Texas -- Nacogdoches County
Power, Holloway Lee, 1802-1866 -- Correspondence
Primitive Baptists -- Texas -- Nacogdoches County
Browse by Box:
[Box 3: Microfilm],
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Correspondence from Holloway Lee Power, Nacogdoches County, to Brother Beebe [editor of religious periodicals, Alabama], 1855, 1862
- Folder 2: Correspondence from Power to Beebe, cont
- Folder 3: Civil War correspondence from Power, 1861-1865
Holloway Lee Power [Nacogdoches County] to Hummel Charms [?], n.p., re: Secession, cat 1861. [Draft of letter with religious notes.]
Holloway Lee Power, Nacogdoches County, to son Holloway Bunyan Power 'while in the army" re: Baptism, 1865.
- Folder 4: Correspondence to H. L. Power and Others, 1864-1875
N. C. Jacks [?], Gilmer, TX, to Rev. H. L. Power, [Nacogdoches], Dec. 6, 1864.
J. S. Overton [?], Nacogdoches, to Rev. Mr. Power, n.p., May 21, 1865.
Ben Parker, Anderson County, TX, to Brother Power, n.p., Oct. 1, 1869.
W. P. Watkins [?], Rusk County, TX, to Brother Power, n.p., October 29, 1869.
J. E. Hardie [?], Henderson, to H. L. Power, Nacogdoches, July 20, 1875
Fragment of letter concerning family matters, n.d.
- Folder 5: Legal Papers, 1857-1874
Draft of land deed from William L. Lilly to James W. Power, Nacogdoches County, 1859.
Bond from James R. Arnold of Eastern Texas Railroad Company to H. L. Power for a mule, July 18, 1861.
Agreement between Holloway L. Power and his former slaves to hire them for the remainder of the year, July 4, 1865.
Appointment of H. B. Power as Road Overseer, Nacogdoches County, January 20, 1869.
Deed in trust for indebtedness between J. J. and Sela Millard and Bennett Blake, Nacogdoches County, Nov. 19, 1874.
- Folder 6: Holloway Lee Power Diary, Part I, 1850-1853
- Describes his move from Alabama to Texas, negotiations to buy land, weather, church meetings, religious meditations, physical ailments. He mentions going to Thomas J. Rusk's to be magnetized for headaches though to little effect. [image]
- Folder 7: Photocopy of Power Diary, Part I
- Folder 8: Holloway Lee Power Diary, Part II, 1854-1857
- Material much the same as in Part I except there are more religious meditations. In September 1854 he returned to Alabama to visit relatives and the diary describes this trip. [image]
- Folder 9: Photocopy of Power Diary, Part II
- Folder 10: Holloway Lee Power - Sketches of Apostle Peter
- Folder 11: Holloway Lee Power - Bible Reflections, 1843-1844
- Folder 12: Holloway Lee Power - Religious Notes with "Index" [contents list]
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Holloway Lee Power - Religious notes, 1857
- Folder 2: Holloway Lee Power - Religious notes
- Folder 3: Holloway Lee Power - Religious notes
- Folder 4: Holloway Lee Power - Religious notes
- Folder 5: Holloway Lee Power - Religious notes, some on 1860 Census forms
- Folder 6: Holloway Lee Power - Religious notes [2 written on receipts for 1842 and 1843; 1 on stamped envelope]
- Folder 7: Hand-drawn maps of journey from Alabama to Bastrop, Tex
- Folder 8: Holloway Lee Power Daybook, 1848-1861
- Contains agricultural notes on cotton and corn, mathematical problems and solutions, drawings, observations on the weather for 1848-1853, family births and deaths, medical notes on ailments and cures, record of patients treated, farming account records, and religious note
- Folder 9: Religious notes - Not Holloway Lee Power [Holloway B. Power?]
- Folder 10: Mathematical notes
- Folder 11: Little Hope Association of Primitive Baptists Constitution and Creed, 1859
- Folder 12: Bethany Church, 1853-1882
List of members, 1869-1874.
Bethany Church Record, 1853-1882. Lists members, records letters of members transferring from other churches, contains minutes of church meetings and constitution.
Letter of dismissal for Celia Bigg
- Folder 13: Store Accounts; Tax Receip, 1849-1874
- Folder 14: Pamphlets on farming, 1867, 1882-1883
- Folder 15: Speech about America, [Alaska already acquired], 1867
- Folder 16: Power family genealogy and biography [newspaper clipping and photocopies]; Bible record, 1859, 1967-1978
- Box 3: Microfilm
- Microfilm of the Holloway Lee Power Diary and some of the other papers in this collection made at University of Texas at Austin, March 1964.
Browse by Box:
[Box 3: Microfilm],