J. M. Cartwright Papers, 1858-1931 | East Texas Research Center
By Jane Dye & Linda Nicklas, 1978
Primary Creator: Cartwright, J. M. (1835-1905)
Extent: 1.0 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 00/00/1978
J. M. Cartwright lived in the Nat community in Nacogdoches County, Texas. He was a farmer and peddler who visited and noted in his Day Book activities and events occurring in such area communities as Nacogdoches, Wells, Douglass, Alto, Atoy, Looneyville, Crossroads, and Rusk. Mr. Cartwright also served as a Deputy Sheriff of Nacogdoches County.
(Frazier, Shonda."Cartwright, James M." Nacogdoches County Families. Dallas: Curtis Media Corp., 1985. p. 203; "J. M. Cartwright Papers." East Texas Research Center. Ralph W. Steen Library. Stephen F. Austin State University).
Access Restrictions: Open for research.
Acquisition Method: Gift
(1) The Houston Post Almanac, 2nd ed., 1897.
(2) The Constitution of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Texas... Houston, A. C. Gray, 1873.
(3) Uniform Constitution for the Government of Subordinate Lodges, I.O.O.F. of Texas; also, Uniform Constitution for the Lodges of the Daughters of Rebekah..., Galveston, The News, 1876.
(4) The Gospel According to Saint Matthew... New York, American Bible Society, 1915.
Browse by Box:
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Advertising booklets and brochures; Plaindealer's price list for printing jobs; 1895 time table for the Cotton Belt Route, including Texas, St. Louis Southwestern Railway Co., 1895-1931
- Folder 2: Papers associated with the appointment of Mr. Cartwright as an enumerator of the 1900 U.S. census; Mrs. Eddie Thompson's life insurance policy and other insurance forms, 1900-1931
- Folder 3: Election tickets; farm statistics report; inventory of property form; attachment bond form
- Candidate tickets for Democratic, Independent and People's Parties, 1898. [image]
- Folder 4: Tax receipts for individuals in Nacogdoches County, 1876-1886
- Folder 5: "Poll" book, Douglass, 1888, with many names listed; J. M. Cartwright, Deputy Sheriff, Douglass, book of tax receipts, 1876-1879