Airline Motor Coaches Collection, 1920-1983 | East Texas Research Center
By Greg Garcia & Kyle Ainsworth, 2011
Extent: 3.0 Linear Feet
The Airline Motor Coaches Company (AMC) of Nacogdoches arose in 1924 through the vision and leadership of former school teacher C.D. Thomas. He created a bus company that was, by the mid-1930s, an established and respected facilitator of travel throughout East Texas. Beginning with just a Model “T” running between Corrigan and Lufkin, Thomas steadily expanded the company through a series of mergers and acquisitions with other local operators. During World War II, the AMC reached its height. One of the selling points for bus companies from the very beginning was that they offered service to places not covered by the passenger rail network. During the war, this fact, combined with the rationing of raw materials like oil and rubber, made busses the only viable means of public transportation for much of the region. In 1945, the AMC employed over 150 people and operated busses from Houston to Shreveport.
Although it was sold to Dixie Trailways in 1946, the camaraderie of AMC’s former employees remained high long after the company ceased to exist. Well-attended reunions in the 1970s demonstrated just how close-knit the Airline Motor Coaches family remained.
The issue of "The Kilgore Daily News" is located with oversize items from other corporate collections in the closed stacks.
Burrows, Florine Rusche. Oral history interview. Discusses background and owners of bus lines in Nacogdoches. ETRC OH-58
Trojanowski, E. A. Oral history interview. Discusses experiences as a mechanic for the Airline Bus Line. ETRC OH-59
Oliver, George Ethan. Bus transportation in East Texas since 1923. Thesis (M.A.), Stephen F. Austin State College, 1950. ETRC HE5633.T4 O4 1950x
Preferred Citation: [Item], Airline Motor Coaches Collection (B-125), East Texas Research Center, Ralph W. Steen Library, Stephen F. Austin State University.
Browse by Box:
- Box 3
- Folder 1: Airline Motor Coaches Bus Schedule, April 1937
- Folder 2: Henderson-Shreveport Motor Coaches Bus Schedule (recto); Monzingo Bus Line Schedule (verso), April 1937; February 1938
- Folder 3: Airline Motor Coaches Bus Schedule, April 1938
- Folder 4: Airline Motor Coaches Bus Schedule, September 1938
- Folder 5: Airline Motor Coaches Bus Schedule, December 1940
- Folder 6: Airline Motor Coaches Bus Schedule, May 1942
- Folder 7: Airline Motor Coaches Bus Schedule, May 1942
- Folder 8: Airline Motor Coaches Bus Schedule, May 1942
- Folder 9: Airline Motor Coaches Bus Schedule, September 1945
- Folder 10: Airline Motor Coaches Bus Schedule, 1940's
- Folder 11: Trailways Calendar, 1976
- Folder 12: Issues of "The Trail Blazer" Newspaper, (poor condition), February 1947 – November 1949
Browse by Box: