The Online Writing Lab (OWL) is now located in D2L. Look in the drop down in the top ribbon or to the side in Helpful Links for Students.
For a personalized review of any paper for any class, log into https://d2l.sfasu.edu/ and select OWL-Online Writing Lab from your pull-down list of classes. This works best with a paper that is nearly complete.
OWL Writing Tutors will check for:
- Basic paper structure - clear thesis, related supporting points, smooth paragraph transitions, thorough conclusion, & proper citations.
- If your paper is not a traditional academic research paper, let us know in the Comments box.
- Correct punctuation & grammar - Rather than pointing out every error, we'll identify types of errors and tell you how they can be fixed.
To get the most from your review:
- Check with your professor on questions in subjects other than Composition or Literature.
- We'll ask questions to help clarify your argument, but may not know the science, history, etc.
- Check for plagiarism. We only see your words; we don't know from where they came.
- Every fact, figure, or idea that is not yours must have an in-text citation AND a matching end reference.
- Information that comes from an outside source should be re-written in your own words but still requires both notations.
- Proofread your paper 1st by reading it OUT LOUD!
- Then you'll receive feedback on areas where you need help, instead of spending time on what you already know.
If you have any questions or would like more assistance, visit the AARC in person. Notify Kathy Bryson of any concerns at (936) 468-1542.