The primary purpose of the East Texas Research Center (ETRC) is to collect, preserve, maintain and make available archival materials that support the educational and research goals of Stephen F. Austin State University (SFA) and the surrounding East Texas community.
- Acquire, preserve and provide physical and virtual access to East Texas' unique cultural history.
- Manage the University's Records Management Program.
- Provide support for service learning and active learning opportunities to the university community.
- Increase awareness of ETRC services and programs through outreach efforts to students, faculty and the East Texas community.
- Provide research assistance and collection development services to SFA History Faculty.
Purpose and Collections Scope
The purpose of the East Texas Research Center (ETRC) is to procure, arrange and index manuscripts, documents, maps, books and other archival materials to facilitate the educational and research goals of Stephen F. Austin State University.
The scope of collections of the ETRC is the geographical region from the Gulf of Mexico north to the Red River, east of the Trinity River and Western Louisiana which was once a part of Texas. The ETRC collections emphasize eastern Texas life, culture, economy and history.